Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Do eat with your hands



The massive combo platter on injera bread

So . . . when I found myself in DC recently I wanted to have some Ethiopian food b/c I knew there was an Ethiopian population in DC and thus good food to be had. Since there were too many dishes on the platter to analyze every one (as if I still remember any of it!), I'll provide a general overview of Ethiopian food (no cheating by looking anything up) based on my limited experience: Injera bread is a staple. It's spongy and great for picking up food or sopping up sauce (also swells up in your stomach after the fact making you feel very full). Meals are eaten communally, traditionally without utensils (using only your right hand). Honey wine (self-explanatory) is also drunk (I don't know if that's the correct p. participle of "drink" but I said I wouldn't look anything up so . . . we're just gonna go with that.) and so will you be if you have a lot because it's sweet and tasty.
The general themes of the various selections offered were legumes (lentils in lots of different sauces), grains (I think there was some bulgur) and greens (spinach, what look like collards but probably aren't). Dukem is a good spot. The general level of spiciness was moderate but the food was certainly not bland. . The portion was right for 3 people. We got more (a smaller combo plate) but given the injera-coma that came after, we could've probably stood pat after the first round.

No comments:

Post a Comment