Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Calzone Paradise: An Ode


Everyone needs a dish in their hometown that they absolutely have to have when they find themselves back home. For me, that honor goes to the calzone from Sam's Pizza. Back in high school, my coworkers at the movie theaters (back when there were theaters downtown- watch how I date myself with that) turned me on to Sam's. When I'm old and bitter, the taste of a calzone will evoke all sorts of wonderful memories of my youth, like the critic in the movie "Ratatouille".

Where to start? My variety of choice is spinach and pepperoni. I've tried other kinds and none seems to compare. As you can see toward the bottom of the frame in the picture, when baked correctly, the crust gets flaky and crispy. Sam's is not fine dining so the quality isn't always consistent (when someone in the kitchen doesn't know what they're doing it can come out doughy). A dusting of garlic salt (and probably butter- who're we kidding?) add flavor to the top. Excellent tangy marinara (I always have to get an extra container) adds the final touch. The 'zone is cut perfectly to allow dipping. Pure addictive goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment