Tuesday, June 1, 2010

An outpost of urban cool

I set out w/ my gf on a hot morning to explore my old neighborhood. After a very long and ultimately unproductive walk to a hole-in-the wall roti shop in Bed-Stuy that was closed, we met up w/ a friend of mine at Habana Outpost, a pan-Latin spot that attracts the neighborhood's hip crowd- youngsters and parents alike. Patrons order inside but the food is actually prepared in a truck that's parked in the courtyard. Music plays and the scene is festive. I think there are solar panels. I was still living in the neighborhood when the place first opened, and was drawn by the space and the fact that they had a bike-operated blender. It was always broken when I'd go before and this time the story was that they only used it on the weekends.

The grilled corn is a trademark dish. It has a generous dollop of mayo, grated cheese, some sort of seasoning powder, and lemon- very good but what wouldn't taste good w/ all that on it. The quesadilla was fine too. The space and the scene are the main attraction, but the food is definitely good (no matter how cool a spot it was, no one would come if the food were bad)


courtyard and the truck where the magic happens


Grilled corn and chicken quesadilla with white sangria.
cameo appearance by my friend's torso

No comments:

Post a Comment