Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Why are we here?

Welcome to my food blog. As I've been discussing this new project with people, I've been asked to outline its exact purpose/angle (oblique, I'd say). A fair question and one whose answer I've been sort of ambling toward gradually. Basically, I really like food, especially talking about it, so I'm putting this together for the simple purpose of sharing what I consider to be interest.
To place this w/in the spectrum of other blogs: There is no strict geographic focus- I live in Iowa but take full advantage of my travels to eat. There are no recipes, yet. I don't yet have a clear definition of what constitutes "interesting food" and thus merits mention- I guess I kind of know it when I see/taste it. Perhaps it's any place that you want to tell your friends about after, whether that's b/c the food is so amazing or the setting is so offbeat. The places/food you'll see featured here will mostly be from modest/hole-in-the-wall type places. . . not because I think haute cuisine isn't as interesting, but mostly b/c these are places I can afford! This is not a "foodie" blog where you can expect to find sophisticated analysis of the food. I don't have the palette or inclination to offer musings on a dish's "umami" or split hairs between varieties of cheeses. I often eat too fast to really reflect on the find shades of a dish's flavoring. But I have been described as a "good eater" and like to analyze stuff so there shouldn't be too many awkward silences in the posts. So off we go without any further ado . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment