Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Many other people were told there would be food

Gowanus Food Truck Festival
Brooklyn Yard


If you haven't heard, food trucks are totally having a moment (or maybe it's the dawn of a whole food truck era, which would be cool too). Cities like Portland have embraced the phenomenon by simplifying permits to allow the mobile food scene to flourish. High-end fusion taco trucks prowl the streets of LA along with their more modest, established predecessors. And in New York, even high end restaurants have gotten in on the act. Brooklyn Yard, a waterfront space on the Gowanus Canal, hosted a gathering of food trucks recently, featuring stars such as Halo Berlin, Rickshaw Dumplings, Pizzamoto, and some artesanal juice and ice cream.


The line to get in was RIDICULOUS. I would've turned around and left were it not for my friends who were already in line. Once we got in, I surveyed the options and all of the well-known, buzzed-about trucks were mobbed, basically. To honor my vegan gf, I headed to Cinnamon Snail, a truck serving organic/vegan fare (plus there was no line). In my heat and hunger-induced frenzy, I hit the wrong button on my camera and shot some video of my sandwich with special appearances by my sunglasses and crotch.



Cajun grilled tofu with arugula, tomato and garlic aioli (that's flavored mayo to those of you who lack Continental flare). The sandwich was well-done and satisfying. The tofu was firm and well-seasoned. The tomato and arugula gave it a nice freshness as well.

UPDATE: as part of their Cheap Eats issue, New York Magazine just put out its list of NYC's best food carts, including some that were at the food truck festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment