Friday, July 27, 2012

Footlongs in the haus

Des Moines
I've blogged about a lot of places over the years but somehow neglected to ever write up the one place where I'm a regular and they know what I want when I walk in the door (if the right server is there). Hessen Haus is an authentic German bier hall located in downtown Des Moines. They serve a wide selection of beers (drinking them out of an enormous glass boot is optional) and German food. For a while they took on the menu of a cajun place that had gotten flooded out, which created some interesting choices/variety on the menu.  Anyway, I walked in for lunch and had the usual: footlong brat with kraut, spaetzle and one of their pickles (made in a jar above the bar, as it should be).  I was particularly hungry the day I went and ate this down in about a minute flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment