Friday, July 27, 2012

On the Bourdain trail

Calumet Fisheries
Chicago, IL



clam strips and scallops

view from Calumet Park.  That is Indiana in the horizon...
After hitting the eco-pasty truck I had the thought to hit this place up on my way out of town.  I'd seen it on Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations" (Travel Channel) and was intensely intrigued by its history and remote location.  Located in an industrial area, Calumet fisheries serves all things aquatic fried or smoked.  I hope they're not fishing them out of the river from the back porch.  it's a tiny spot (i felt awkward and touristy snapping pics inside so I passed on that) so I heeded the advice of some online reviews and headed to a nearby park- good choice on my part!  it was a lovely day and I got to dip my feet in Lake Michigan.  Both the clams and the scallops were quite good- well-seasoned and accompanied by a spicy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment